As we move further into 2023, it’s the perfect time to reflect on our organizational skills and make some changes to better utilize the space in our homes. Whether you’re dealing with a small apartment or a large house, keeping everything in its place and making the most of your space can be a pain point. With some simple organizational techniques, you can turn your cluttered home into a spacious and functional living space.
As a home inspection company, we understand the importance of a well-organized home, not only for aesthetic purposes, but also to ensure the safety and well-being of our clients. Finding enough space in our homes for all our belongings can sometimes pose a big challenge. Whether it’s clothes, books, or knick-knacks, it can feel like we’re constantly running out of room. But don’t worry, with some simple organizational techniques, you can maximize the efficiency of your space and keep your home feeling spacious and clutter-free.
Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Use vertical space, and utilize wall-mounted shelves and hanging organizers to store items that would otherwise take up valuable floor space. This is especially helpful in smaller homes and apartments, where every square foot counts.
- Get creative with storage; use unexpected items, such as hanging shoe organizers or over-the-door storage solutions to organize items you wouldn’t usually think to put there. This can help you make the most of your space and tidy your home.
- Invest in multi-functional furniture. Consider purchasing furniture with built-in storage, such as ottomans with hidden compartments or beds with drawers underneath. This can help you save space while still having all the necessary furniture.
- Use clear plastic storage containers to store items such as seasonal clothing or holiday decorations, making it easy to find what you need when you need it. This is an easy way to keep your home organized, reduce clutter, and maximize space in the closet.
- Label your storage containers. This will help you find the things you need quickly, and you won’t have to spend hours searching through containers to find what you need.
- Sort and purge regularly by setting aside time each month to go through your possessions and eliminate anything you no longer need or use. This will help you stay organized and create more space in your home. Consider doing this before or after a home inspection.
- Create a designated space for everything and make sure that every item in your home has a specific place where it belongs. This will help you keep your home organized and make it easy to put things away when you’re done using them.
- Use a calendar to schedule cleaning sessions. Add cleaning as a regular part of your routine by scheduling sessions on your calendar. This will help you stay on top of things and make them less overwhelming.
- Start giving everything in your home…a home. Assign a specific place for every item in your home. This will make it easy to put things away when you’re done using them, and you’ll always know where to find things when you need them.
- Start tidying up spaces when you’re done with them. Take a few minutes to put things back in their designated place when you’re finished using them. This will help you keep your home organized and make cleaning less overwhelming.
- Start scheduling “declutter dates.” Set aside time each month to go through your possessions and eliminate anything you no longer need or use. This will help you stay organized and create more space in your home.
- Stop holding onto items because of guilt. If you haven’t used an item in over a year, and it doesn’t hold sentimental value, it’s time to let it go. Holding onto items out of guilt is a common reason for clutter and disorganization.
- Prioritize! Not all tasks are created equal, so prioritize the most important ones first. Tackle the most challenging or time-consuming tasks first so you can make the most progress in the shortest amount of time.
- Utilize technology. Plenty of apps and tools are available to help you stay organized. Technology can be a great asset in keeping your home organized for things like digital calendars, to-do lists, virtual closet organizers, and more. Check out some of these fantastic apps here.
We recommend monitoring the storage spaces in your home, such as attics, basements, and crawl spaces. These areas are often overlooked and can become cluttered and disorganized over time, leading to potential safety hazards. Additionally, having a professional inspect these areas is always a good idea to ensure they are structurally sound and free of any pests or moisture issues. Many homeowners are confused about what to fix immediately after a home inspection; read more about essential fixes here.
These tips will help you make the most of your space and keep your home organized in the new year. If you have questions about a home inspection, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
We hope you find the information we shared helpful!