Home Maintenance Checklist
We all love our friends and family, and I think most of us are good at showing it. However, we often neglect one of our biggest purchases, and something we spend all of our time in.
OUR HOME! Stop neglecting your home by taking care of these home maintenance items throughout the year.
Home maintenance throughout the entire year is important! Don’t forget these short lists, and get on loving your home by maintaining its health.
Have you done these items in the last month?
- Clean and replace air conditioning filters.
- Check smoke detectors.
- Check Carbon Dioxide detectors.
Have you done this in the last quarter?
- Check gutters and drainage to ensure nothing is building up, potentially causing water damage to your home.
- Ensure all GFCIs are working properly by tripping and then resetting them.
- Clean all your vents going to the exterior of your home.
- Clean and examine windows for pools of water or leakage.
- Remember that fire extinguisher under the kitchen sink? Check to make sure it’s properly pressurized so it’s ready when you [hopefully don’t] need it.
Have you checked this season?
- You ought to inspect and/or have your heating and A/C units. If you have the knowledge, feel free to do it yourself. If not, contact your local HVAC or InterNACHI certified inspector.
- Inspect all caulking around your home for leaks and other issues. This saves money in energy and possible issues with leaks, etc.
- Check your sump pump. If you do not have one, consider getting one installed. Axium can assist or other qualified contractors.
- Sprinklers! Are they operating? Set your timers for efficiency and check they are properly working.
- Clean your refrigerator coils! A fridge can use over 10% of your home’s total energy, and dusty coils can reduce efficiency substantially. A good vacuuming can save your $100 a year!
Have you checked this year?
- Clean and sharpen your garage disposal. You can do this by buying a product or just utilizing some ice cubes while running it.
- Drain, refill, and inspect your hot water heaters.
- Replace all smoke and CO2 alarm batteries.
- Get your plumbing inspected or inspect it yourself for leaks and blockages.
- Get those lawn mowers running! Prepare yourself for the summer time.
- Test for radon! Every two years you ought to test for radon, have you done so in the past two year? If not, call us!